Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Why Go To Church?

A church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. 'I've gone for 30 years now,' he wrote, 'and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all.'
This started a real controversy in the 'Letters to the Editor' column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:
'I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this... They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work . If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!'

This story is quite true. I cant remember exactly a single complete sermon (message title, date of sermon, what the challenge was, who the speaker was, what the announcements were, what the song line up was) but I sure remember A TON of lessons and Biblical truths that is burning and alive in me right now! Just the fact that my faith has been strengthened I'm sure I benefited "mortally" from the every Sunday sermon I hear. Some comments though,even if we don't go to church regularly after a genuine regeneration (born again), WE WON'T SPIRITUALLY DIE. We become very malnourished and weak, and it results to a road to sin and destruction, backsliding, and most probably a big whacking from Papa GOD! You see, He wont allow you to remain spiritually malnourished. He's your Dad for crying out loud. If you don't feel Him calling you to the table for dinner, and if we're not obedient we don't get a spanking, maybe you aren't part of the family after all.

And unlike the story, since I've been married for almost a year now, I do remember much of what my wife cooks. It's all my favorite! And they're all delicious!

No comments:

tamperproof worshipper

tamperproof worshipper
rock it for Jesus