Thursday, August 14, 2008

My trip to Palawan

On August 10-13, I was privileged to join the Breaking Point Team in sharing the anti-substance abuse program that could help the lives of young people in their awareness to this malignant social disease. Our focus, was giving the good news of a change of heart to these young people. And this change of heart could only be a result of a life lived under Jesus' control, by simply making Him your Lord and Savior.

We were partnered with a team from Sagemont Church, based in Houston Texas. They sent a total of 18 delegates under Rev. Sandy Baird and his wife Karen. On our arrival in Palawan, we were again partnered with a local Palawan Team, delegates from Family of Christ Church, under Rev. David Quiocson. It was at first a super pleasant trip because we departed from the newly opened NAIA Terminal 3, and was safely transported to Palwan via Cebu Pacific. The upon arrival, we were welcomed by the Family of Christ church with leis and were transported to our beautiful hotel, Fleuris Hotel.

We had a great room (though the view was a blank wall) as Pastor Alvon, Pastor Jeff and myself were comfortably lodged in three nice beds! The dinner was sumptous, and the welcome service was truly, "new" to us. We then rehearsed our Taekwondo demonstaration, and also the dramas in which I played the Money Person in the Redeemer.

After a good night's sleep, we woke up early and had another great breakfast, and also becoming more acquainted with our American partners. We had another training and run throughs of the program, and by lunch time (Jolibee) we were ready for our first school, Sicsican National High School.

Going there was a short 20 minute drive, and we were welcomed by a beautiful school (relative to Manila), and the kids were all excited to see us! The program went really well, and after the whole thing, we started packing up and went to the next school, Palawan National High School. We arrived a little over 4pm, and set up as quick as we could, and we let the ball roll for another great action packed program!

We didn't feel the exhaustion only until we were done with the dramas. There was a classroom interaction up next... Praise God He manipulated situations and gave us a good break by letting a large group presentation of Breaking Point take place instead. It saved us a lot of saliva and throat pain.

It was so rewarding to see the kids so encouraged specially when in my group, I shared the hope you had in Christ, and also the life you can have if you had a real relationship with Jesus. It was hard, but great. I told them that they had to be good in their studies, avoid drugs, and substance abuse, avoid sexual relationships, and just be nice kids. I told them what God did in my life, though Im not the best (but I want to be) in my field, I still get a lot of clients and God provides for my needs! Their faces just lit up as I felt their eagerness to start(or continue) living a clean life and get Jesus in their life.

We ate dinner at a great restaurant, where they served Filipino dishes for the American visitors, and we had a great time of fellowship. By the time we were back at the hotel we desired nothing but a clean bath and a great sleep. However tired, we had to sleep later because we had to read and tally the comment cards.

Next day... we're not fired up. At least not me. My eyes were as heavy as iron bars and my body felt like it was glued to my comfortable bed. But, I'm glad I was used to getting up early at home, so I still got the strength to get up, pray and prepare for another day of hard, physical work.

Breakfast was grrreat! And we hurried to our first location and we arrived on time! We again set up and the energy again was pumping for a great day of evangelism. After the program, we had to pack up and set up at the next scheduled program only one hour away. The school was near but setting up the stage and all was as tiring as doing the program itself. Upon arrival, I was so encouraged to see a small auditorium, no stage, and dirt floor. Hehe, how sarcastic. But in the ministry, you had to look at things in a different perspective. It is always with a servant heart, a love for the people you want to reach, and an attitude of being a part of the solution, not the problem.

Turned out to be a great presentation, (because we got the dramas and the taekwondo perfectly) and a lot of college students were challenged and encouraged to start a relationship with Christ. I met great people in this trip, and mostly my American partners. Their testimonies were movie-like, and their lives were really changed... Some of the guys I met were Stanley and Chuck who were my best buds during the trip.

Stanley is a bagpipe player and he does that professionally in the States. Its somehow interesting because Im enchanted with the bagpipes and it's the first time I ever heard one played live! It's really LOUD! But, as amazing as it is, it's better to meet the player than the instrument! Stanley is amazing and he is very passionate about what he does. Drawing, playing the bagpipes, just sharing his thoughts about life, but most of all, sharing Jesus to others.

The same with Chuck, or Carlos. He is an Italian, first time I ever met a true full blooded Italian! But he grew up in the States and he is a very learned man, being an aircraft mechanic, he is amazing as well! His life story is also very inspiring and he loves the Lord very much. I thought of him as my very own dad, and I love listening to his stories, his insight, his thoughts too!

The best thing about the mission trip is sharing Jesus to a lost people. And seeing them having hope is the greatest reward a missionary can have!

No comments:

tamperproof worshipper

tamperproof worshipper
rock it for Jesus