Friday, May 8, 2009

I am tired of fighting, but will never quit

I have often gotten into "debates" with atheists and they have always managed to somehow end the debates as a stale mate.  They never convinced me,  but sadly, i never convinced them. The only positive thing about this is that i know my faith in Jesus can never or at least not easily shaken.  I have indeed a solid Rock as a Foundation. I owe this to my church, my parents, my mentors in IVCF, and most specially to God.  Going back to debates, I have really learned from those experiences that no one can win the argument.  They have points, I have points, they can say anything they want (not all), you have to control your temper (not all too) because what you say reflects your faith... its difficult to get across because your foundation of faith is theBible, which they dont believe.  You go to science and logic as an argument, they throw valid questions but answerable only if you believe in the Bible (because most questions they throw the Bible addresses, and amply answers).  However, these arent acceptable answers for the "scientific" mind, since from a worldly, or in other words, secular and observable standpoint, our answers do not logically fit.  We say this is where faith comes in, they say that is another reason we are laughed at. We throw in answered prayers, miracles, they become insultingly sarcastic and say they are coincidences... weird, a constant coincidence.  Statistics (a science itself) will say otherwise since the probability of this happening at a constant rate is like winning the lottery over and over again.  Probable, buit highly improbable.

I have often thought of not using God's Word to refute them, thinking I can defeat them on their ground.  (occasionaly I have shut up some atheists) but I never won an argument.  I can only achieve this much.  My Pastor told me and some friends too that I am wasting my time since I can never accomplish my goal.  Praise God if I do, but my commission is to make disciples, share the Word, not convince the atheist.  I must introduce them to God, if they reject, then so be it. What my pastor said struck me, if I do throw to them their own flaws (which often is an unanswered issue), it returns void.  If you throw them God's Word, it NEVER returns void.  It can change their hearts, challenge them to think it over twice, or make them admittedly guilty of their rejection of the Holy Spirit... which is a sin against Him.  If you continually reject Him, your sins can never be forgiven in the first place... making it the unforgivable sin.  

On the other hand, I do admire the Christians in the scientific community who are researching and experimenting, making formulae and trying to topple the arguments of our friends the atheists, evolutionists, etc, with their research.  That is the war they are called to fight.  I would love to join that army actually, and I often find myself a soldier in that company, but I am ill-equipped, and my strengths are called to a different battlefield: and that is to show love and give love.  Be an example of success, be excellent in what you do, be fruitful, encourage others, serve others, be salt and be light.  Worship as a lifestyle. That is my calling.  Now with that said:  atheists, I may or may not come back to our battleground, but watch out, Love is heading your way. 

1 comment:

Frances said...

My dear brother, study Quantum Physics. It explains everything! Anyone who understands Quantum Physics can't help but think that there is a God!

Meanwhile, it's not a fight--just share. Fighting just makes everyone go sour. Your faith--while indeed based on the Word of God--is also based on a personal relationship with Christ. People may not believe in the Bible, but they cannot say that your relationship with Jesus is not true. That, they cannot refute. It's really that simple. It's really that beautiful.

tamperproof worshipper

tamperproof worshipper
rock it for Jesus