Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Last Seven Days of My Twenties

PART ONE

Today is May 20, 2008, seven days before my 30th birthday. Since I will be entering a new chapter in my life, I decided to write and review what has happened to my life this past decade and try to assess my life as early as now, be it positive or negative.

They say that the thirties are supposed to be when you’re building a business and career at the same time. All preparations should have been finished in your twenties, connections, necessary experiences, and all those stuff. Here’s where the guy should have passed the stage where he goes looking for girls, and acting like a child, bumming around and playing PSP all day, watching DVD and hanging out too much doing nothing.

They also say, the Thirties is where a guy should be raising up his family in a godly way, working hard to provide for his wife and kid, and have completely released himself from the dependence on his parents. Thirties is also a period where a guy who is single should have at least saved up for his own car, living apart from his parents, and should have at least finished a degree or taking up masters, or a PhD.

Well, I’m approaching that age in seven days. It’s a wonder how time flies so fast. I don’t regret anything, really, for my life has been very fruitful, very enjoyable and fulfilling, and very content. However, a person cannot be truly a developing person, if he or she is content in his present state, and stops dreaming and learning.

I am content, yet I am not satisfied with my state. Does it make sense? I am content in a way that I do not worry for my future; I am sure that though life is hard, God will take care of me, just like He did when I was growing up. But I am not satisfied with the life I could offer to others, and to my God. I must force myself to improve in my skills, to raise the quality of living for my wife and my future kids. I must be looking forward to the day that I could stand up before my colleagues, friends, relatives, and my family and say, “God has been good to me… see what He has done!” I want my Dad and my Mom to be very proud of me, as I am very proud of them. Though my Dad and Mom weren’t able to give us luxuries of life, they have given me life itself. They raised me up with the fear of the Lord, and have sacrificed a lot to bring me to where I am today. And it was them who introduced LIFE to me… Jesus. So I owe them everything: my everything. I salute you Papa and Mama!

To my country, I am still not the man you have expected me to be. I can still accomplish many things for you… I must make you proud of me. This is my love for my country, that at least I could give honor to my countrymen, and be a productive citizen, by being a part of the solution to our country’s problems, and to help other Filipinos by inspiring them, giving them hope, and encouraging them to do their best and love their country as well.

To my God, I have given all I am to You. But as it is, I am so unfit. I have so many weaknesses. I am so sinful and unworthy. I want to give something better to You O God. Please work in me and accomplish Your work through me. As I see it, I will never please You, but if I allow You to glorify Yourself through and in me, I am sure I am able to live a life worthy of Your name. It is all by Your strength alone. Have Your way, do Your will in me.

To my wife and lover, friend and partner, Rose, my past decade has been dedicated to loving you and being faithful to you. You are God’s gift to me. It is through you that I am able to give God a portion of His love to me. I need you, and I honor you as the woman who captured my heart. I will give my life for you and I will protect you, as well as lead and teach you. I will be your friend and support. I love you.

It seems that the next decade has a lot in store for me, I need to be a better person for the persons mentioned above! Honestly, if not for them, I would be a bum, enjoying myself and completely content with whatever happens in my life. That is why in the next ten years, I should live my life for others, my country, my wife, and my God.

1 comment:

Frances said...

If you think your twenties was great, thirties ROCKS!!!

Now I can't wait to be 40. I heard that life begins then. Ooh, can't wait, can't wait!

tamperproof worshipper

tamperproof worshipper
rock it for Jesus